Make sure your Oriental rug stays just as beautiful as the day you bought it with M.S. Chem-Dry’s specialized cleaning products and methods. We understand that every Oriental rug is different and carefully strive to preserve the beauty, integrity, and all of its original colors while giving your treasured piece the attention and special care it deserves. Read more here about M.S. Chem-Dry’s Area Rug Cleaning services.
Why Rug Bleeding Occurs
There are several factors that can cause color bleeding during the process of oriental rug cleaning. These include:
- Be aware that traditional Oriental rugs may use natural fibers and pigments, and their dyes may not be colorfast. Unfortunately, water-soluble dyes are particularly vulnerable to bleeding when exposed to certain cleaning methods like flooding. To preserve the beauty of your rug, it’s important to take extra precautions and to avoid damaging cleaning processes with Natural dyes.
- Damaging cleaning methods. Dry cleaning and steam cleaning are not suitable for oriental rugs and can leave behind a residue that causes dyes to bleed and damage the rug.
- Excessive dye. If too much dye is used to color the rug, the excess dye may wash out during the first few cleaning cycles and contaminate surrounding areas if not stabilized or protected.
- Exposure to alkaline substances or high heat during cleaning. Even if the dyes in the rug are colorfast or have been stabilized, they can still react and cause bleeding when exposed to high heat or alkaline substances often used in cleaning or stain removal processes. Fading is also a risk with such exposure.
- Pet accidents. Corrosive substances like pet urine can cause dyes to bleed before or during cleaning if not promptly and appropriately removed.
Protect your Oriental rug from fading and color bleeding by following these simple tips from our expert cleaners: avoid positioning your rug in direct sunlight, always use the correct shampoo for a gentle cleanse, and never flood or overwet when cleaning. Taking these precautions will help keep your rug looking vibrant and luxurious for years to come.
- Keep your rug out of direct sunlight. UV rays can disintegrate the bonds that hold dyes to the fibers in your rug, causing fading. Avoid placing your rug in direct sunlight and use other methods to dry it if it becomes wet.
- Clean up accidents right away. To prevent staining and bleeding, absorb as much liquid as possible with white paper towels or a white cloth. Then call a professional oriental rug cleaner to carefully remove the rest of the stain. Avoid using store-bought stain removers, as they may bleach your rug, cause color bleeding, or damage the delicate fibers.
- To keep your rug looking magnificent and to protect its bright colors, make sure to book a professional cleaning appointment at least once a year. Our team of experts will conduct an analysis of your rug and choose the right cleaning approach that won’t harm its color or integrity. Don’t forget to schedule regular cleanings to ensure that your Oriental rug looks gorgeous for many years ahead!
If you’re looking for a team of rug cleaning and carpet cleaning experts in Omaha, NE, Gretna, Bennington, and Papillion who will respect your rug and keep it in its best shape, give M.S. Chem-Dry a call at (402) 592-4691 today!